Friday, April 28, 2006

A night at the theater

This is a post from Dawn, because as it turns out, musical theater may not be up Sergio’s alley.

We went to a University Production last night at the arts center here in Fayetteville. We saw Into the Woods, a show that mixes up popular fairy tales and then goes beyond Happily Ever After.

Though the show slowed considerably in the second act I still found the whole experience to be enjoyable. It has been a really long time since I have been to any sort of theater and I just liked being in there for the lights to go down and the music to come up. Some parts really stood out. The dwarves were cleverly costumed and a little bit creepy.* Prince Charmings 1 & 2 were memorable as well. They really added comic relief to the show and made me snort very loudly at least twice, “I was raised to be charming not sincere.” The real treat of the last act was seeing our friend Nikki play Sleeping Beauty (in a corset that deserved its very own applause). This was pretty much the whole reason we went to the show, and it was weird knowing someone on the stage. I am more accustomed to watching her play a Club Cloodle™ on Saturday nights when we get together to play Cranium™, than seeing her as part of a chorus line. Both are very entertaining.

Sleeping Beauty herself and Sam

The show ran sort of late for a Thursday night and Sergio and I did some fancy car swapping with Sam to get home in time to squeeze in our requisite six hours. Despite our best efforts, I am still very out of it today. I wonder if anyone would notice if I took a nap at my desk.

*In other productions of Into the Woods I understand there are no dwarves. The director must have felt they were needed in her version.

No comments: