Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Movie Review

I am finally going to write a post! About movies! Aren't you excited? And no, I'm probably not going to add in any new Rolo pictures because the iphone still befuddles me on this point. So, our movie watching has increased in the last six months, but most of the watching we do comes from Netflix or Redbox. Rosalind has been to two movies in the theater and we have had sort of mixed results. If she doesn't fall asleep halfway through then she becomes restless about halfway through. The reason we have been able to watch more, I think, comes from the fact that Rosalind no longer sleeps like a baby (the real way babies sleep, up every few hours) and now when she goes to bed at 8:30 we still sometimes have the energy to stay up for a movie. At least on the weekends during the summer. So here are some movie reviews from the last 6-9 months. As far as we can remember we did these out of a possible 4 points. (the last movie is supposed to show 3 clubs not four).

Kung Fu Panda 2 ♣♣ ¾
Fun and action packed. This was Rosalind's second attempt at a movie. We went after her nap so she stayed awake and all the action and colors and noise in the world couldn't keep her still and quiet for that long. The story is super sweet in this one, but then the last scene kind of leaves you wondering about everything you've just seen.

Bridesmaids ♣♣
We both wanted this to be better. It toned down some and got a lot better by the end. I remember thinking the movie seemed confused about what genre it wanted to be.

Rango ♣♣♣
This is a really pretty movie...sort of. The animation is stunning but sometimes it's almost grotesque since the subject matter are lizards and rodents. This was also Rosalind's first movie experience and she was pretty into it and then fell asleep. Perfect. The story is pretty much a basic western so adults can enjoy it and Rosalind enjoyed the cartoony aspect. Win/Win.

Harry Potter 8 ♣♣♣
I thought the movie did as well as it could to be faithful to the books so I really liked that. However, I somehow didn't feel much of the emotion you feel as you read the book. In fact, I found the first part of the last movie to be the better of the two. I have also heard from people who saw this without seeing any others or reading the books that they walked away with some false beliefs about the storyline and I can see how that might have happened with the way this movie plays out.

Wristcutter's: A Love Story ♣♣♣ ¼
This movie was recommended to me by one of my quirkier students last year and I thought it might be interesting. It sounds depressing as it is the story of a group of people who meet and have adventures after they have committed suicide and find that the afterlife for them is pretty much just a cruddier version of earth filled with other suicide victims. It's actually very sweet and kind of funny.

Black Snake Moan ♣♣ ½
I don't really know how to describe this movie. We saw the previews for it years ago and it looked kind of like a comedy. It's not. I liked it a lot and Sergio liked it a little. I think it is worth a watch, but beware that it is not for those squeamish with nudity or sex but that tones way down about 1/3 of the way through. Samuel L. Jackson and Christina Ricci are both very good in this.

Cedar Rapids ♣♣ ½
A comedy about insurance salesmen set in Cedar Rapids. Sergio liked it a little more than me. It was a good way to spend an evening.

Lincoln Lawyer ♣♣♣♣ ¼
I had no idea what this was about and was still confused at the end as to why the title referenced Abraham Lincoln. Sergio finally explained that it was because the lawyer's office was a Lincoln. I felt dumb. I would really recommend this movie. It's very good. I can't say much about the plot without ruining some of it. Sometimes watching lawyer movies with Sergio is bothersome because he gets mad when the movie has the lawyers do things wrong, but that didn't happen much with this one. Yay!

No comments: