Wednesday, June 13, 2007

At Least This Bike Story Doesn't Involve a Hospital

Sergio and I try to be nice people. We are kind to others, love animals, do our best to protect the environment, and even though we are students and therefore usually broke, we still give money to Save the Children every month. It seems to me that we should have worked up some good Karma at this point. Unfortunately, the universe doesn't see it that way. I had a final on the Portland State campus yesterday morning. I rode my bike in, as I have done more and more often recently, and locked it to the same bike rack that I normally do. A couple of hours later, it was gone. Lock and all. This is the second bike we have had stolen from us, though luckily we are insured this time.
This post might have been funnier if I had written it yesterday while the anger was still on the surface. Today, I can't seem to work up any real ill will. Know, though, that if I had seen someone riding by on my bike yesterday, I felt fully prepared to tackle them and then...well, I don't know what then. The point is, I was probably angrier than I have ever been. Even angrier than the time my brother kept bouncing a tennis ball off of my head while I was trying to sleep. I reacted to that by jumping out of bed screaming and kicking, so it is probably good I didn't see the bike go by yesterday.
One last note. Normally I would leave my helmet on the bike while I went to class, but because I was distracted by the final, I took my helmet with me. That means that this helmet made it through the road bike that I wrecked two years ago, and now the stolen bike. Would anyone like to weigh in on whether or not I should consider this helmet good luck or bad?

No comments: