Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Whiney McWhinerson

So, I should be in class tonight. Instead I am surrounded by used tissues on my couch. I managed to catch this cold Friday morning just before I had to go to a class entitled Visual Metaphor that lasted all through the weekend. It turns out that it isn't a smart move to choose a class based solely on the date it is offered without reading the details.
Had I read the details I might have realized Visual Methaphor means "acting out fairy tales and fables in funny handmade masks." It also meant lots of work with scissors and construction paper, as well as, "Now everybody stand in a circle, squat, growl like a bear and stomp around the room." And then we acted like frogs. And then like royalty. And then my soul died.
Let me just say that there was no part of this class that made me happy except that it only lasted three days. The fact that every time I growled like a bear I then coughed and hacked for a good ten minutes only made it more awesome. I spent yesterday trying to sleep off this cold, but between you and me, I think I needed some of that time to recover from my weekend.

Picture below: This is the mask I made in class by smearing vaseline all over my head and then having cold, wet plaster stuck to my face. After that I added more plaster to the nose, cheeks, eyebrows, chin, and jowls to make it look like a grumpy old man. I think I succeeded at making it look like an old woman two weeks dead.Edited to add: This was a class I took for grad school credit with other adults, not something I did with my seventh graders. There was some confusion on that point.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

I'm really confused by this class.

Hope you feel better though!