Saturday, September 30, 2006

Why Sergio Cooks the Food and I Wash the Dishes



I got the urge to make something sweet a few weekends ago and after some deliberation settled on cinammon rolls. Not because I have made them before and know them to be good, but because I don't like chocolate very much and Sergio doesn't really like fruit desserts, so this was the middle ground. It was a really sudden decision and I had to get to the store quickly if I wanted have them finished at a decent hour. This was a recipe that called for homemade bread dough. This is really the only difficult part of cinammon rolls. Otherwise you just mix butter, cinammon, and sugar and roll it up into a log. Simple enough.

I rushed to get through the recipe and missed some very important things. First, I completely missed a half cup of water for the dough and didn't realize until long after Sergio muscled the substance into something semi dough-like. Then I realized that I had only two tablespoons of butter where it called for a cup and a half. Rather than go find a store open at ten, we stretched those two tablespoons through filling, frosting, and pan greasing.

Despite the setbacks we baked those sad little rolls anyway. They were...ok. A little heavy maybe. When they were warm they weren't too bad at all, but the next morning they resembled stones. I have to give Sergio credit. I managed two or three before giving up with a tired jaw, but he worked through four or five. How sweet. Lesson: Pillsbury is better than this mess, but aren't they kind of pretty?

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Baking is fun despite the disasters. Mom and I attempted mini honey buns. Let's just say I haven't wanted a honey bun since that day.