Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Good Morning, this is Dawn, How May I Help You?

Tomorrow I start a new job doing something somewhere. I don't actually know what the job involves and I can't say where it is on the internet. Rule #1 of blogging is never talk about work, and we will follow that here. I CAN say that this will be my first non-admin job since graduating college, and for that I am truly thankful. I just don't have it in me to assist capable adults. If you are using a copier and it runs out of paper, I have total confidence that you can find the paper tray without my input. At least try. Even if you fail, the effort would have been enough.
I didn't really talk about job hunting here, because, quite frankly, it was embarrassing. I guess I will go ahead and admit now that I went on eight interviews and temped at seven different places in the meantime. After that many interviews I learned that I hate the term "corporate culture." Terms like these make me feel like I am being repeatedly poked in the eyes. "Tell me Dawn, in what sort of corporate culture do you see yourself working?" Um, a pleasant one? That isn't the right answer. In fact, I think I might have lost most of the interviews at this point, because when asked an inane question my ears turn red and I say something inane in return. Some other questions I can't seem to answer include, "Where do you see yourself in five years? " Not at your reception desk, that's for sure! Or, "What can you bring to this position?" My twenty years of experience answering telephones, I learned to take messages when I was five! Or, "What is your greatest weakness?" Interviews, obviously.
I did my best to prepare for these questions, but the better I got at answering them the cheesier I felt and the redder my ears became. I also discovered a disturbing habit of tugging at my shirt when I was lying about job goals or personal attributes. Why yes sir, I would love to work here for ten years with no hope of a promotion. Tug.
Ok, enough unloading of my job frustrations. I have work!

No comments: